Pay No Attention to The Man Behind the Curtain


A few months ago, a friend asked “what’s next?” for me now that I’ve moved to Chicago and landed a job.  I replied that I’d keep hunting for a better job, since my waitressing/hostessing  gig is only part-time.  Then I asked if that was too boring, and he if he wanted a more imaginative reply.

“Yeah,” he said.  “What’s next on the Bucket List?”

“I don’t know,” I said, before rattling of a Christmas wishlist of extracurricular activities.   “I’d like to volunteer more.  I want to take acting classes and maybe start going to auditions.  I’d like to meet someone.  I want to see more plays.  I’d like to lose 10 pounds or so.  Sometimes I think boxing or dancing or flying lessons would be cool.”

Not-so-subtly buried in there was the desire to date again.  (Also the wish to earn more money so I can actually afford to do all those things.)  Which brings me to this (rather long and disjointed) post.

Quick backstory:  In the wake of a long-distance relationship that ended over a year and a half ago, I dated one guy last winter for about 5 minutes.  I let it fizzle because I was already planning my move to Chicago, and because of my frustrating tendency to think about my ex a lot when I was around him.  He was a great guy who deserved better.  And that has pretty much been the extent of my love life for the past eight years.

Recently, I have attempted to step up my game by working out (thereby building confidence), saying “yes” to more social engagements (easy to do when you’re underemployed) and by trying to learn more about how the male brain works.  A lot of what I’ve come up with has annoyed me.  My research, while certainly not exhaustive or conclusive, has spanned everything from “Love Languages” to Jenna Jameson’s autobiography (ok, to be honest, that one’s just out of morbid curiosity) to Matthew Hussey.

For those of you who aren’t laughing or making derisive faces, Matthew Hussey is the self-proclaimed Real-Life Hitch.  Except he’s English.  And white.  Yeah, it doesn’t quite make sense to me, either.

If you’re curious to know more (I can show you his gimmick better than I can tell you), here’s his website:

(Upon a quick Google search, I also stumbled on the website for Christian Carter  – no, of course that's not his real name -- who appears to be an American duplicate of Hussey.  I wonder how many more "Relationship Coaches" out there are in on this type of scheme.)

So why, you ask, would I read the relationship advice of this upstart Hussey (he doesn’t even have a PhD!) as opposed to all the other crackpot love gurus and wizards out there?  Why would I even read that crap to begin with?

1)      If you’ve looked at the website, the initial draw is pretty obvious:  he’s alarmingly young and good-looking.  A far cry from Abigail Van Buren, Dr. Ruth, Dr. Phil and Dr. Schlessinger.  And I don't know about you, but I’m a sucker for that London accent.  I know, I know.  Typical.

2)      Hussey’s business model is crafty and shrewd.  It’s definitely one big scheme to get desperate, insecure women (like me, apparently!) to spend money to get that next webinar, that next bit of golden information that will tell them how to hook and net the guy of their dreams.  But the writing, from headlines to blog posts to newsletters, seems personal and effective (and I’m sure there’s a team of writers who do this, not him) and Hussey himself is not too shabby as a speaker and presenter.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I could incorporate these tactics into my next job.

3)      I paid closer attention to his advice because some of it rubbed me backwards.  After all, “If you always think the way you have always thought, then you will always get what you have always got.”  And that advice was:  You can get the man of your dreams, Mr. Right (or at least Mr. Right Now), even if you initially think he’s way out of your league.  You just have to be willing to throw caution to the wind and become the most ridiculously flirty, outgoing version of yourself.  You must accept how the male mind works, learn the tricks and play their game until you can master it.

Unfortunately, I’ve never been good at games/sports/flirting.  I used to think it was all about playing the insipid damsel, and I don’t know that I was entirely wrong.  (For a more serious perspective on this topic, I highly recommend this article, The Perpetual Dumb Girl by Chicago native Erika Sanchez.)

For example -- Two flirting techniques which Hussey swears are effective: 

1)      Ask him for a favor.  Men love to do stuff for pretty girls because it makes them feel smart, strong, useful, needed, etc.  They are hardwired to provide and protect.  By asking him for help with something, you are catering to his inner caveman and training him early on to do nice things for you.

2)      Present him with a challenge.  Men, in theory at least, are excited by having to overcome a few obstacles to get to the *object* (collective feminist cringe) of their desire, making it/her that much more desirable and therefore satisfying once obtained.  Again, it caters to their inner Neanderthal hunter.  An easy way to plant an obstacle and create tension, according to Hussey:  “I hate you.  *giggle* *smile* You’re awful.”  It also makes them feel like Bad Boys, which they lap up.

This was the part when I had to fight the urge to gag while simultaneously, a lightbulb went off in my head.  I suddenly had a flashback to junior high, memories I hadn’t thought about in years:

“Do this for me,” commanded the popular girls of the loud, sweaty boys I couldn’t stand, but also wanted admiration from.  “Hey, open my milk carton for me.  Hold my backpack for me.  Carry that for me.  You dissect the frog.  I’m too dumb/weak/sensitive/grossed out to do it myself.”  Then they’d turn right around and say with a giggle “Go away.  You’re so stupid, I hate you.”

I remember thinking, “I’ll never be like that.  If I ever get a boyfriend, I won’t order him around like my slave and be mean to him.”  So then it never made sense to me until years later why the boys trailed after those girls like dim-witted puppies.

So why is flirting so important/necessary?  Why can’t we just talk to each other like we’re on a level playing field?  Because, according to Hussey, guys have to feel like they’re making the First Move.  If you make the First Move, you’ll get stuck as the Aggressor/Needy Girl who’s always struggling to drag the relationship forward.  You want him to be the one doing that, the one pursuing, because it’s (supposedly) in his nature. 
He has to feel like he’s calling the shots in order to feel like a man.  I know.  Cue the eye-rolling.  What’s more, you have to be okay with letting him believe this, that he’s the one in the driver’s seat with all the bright ideas.  Come to think of it, in my experience, it works this way with men even outside of romantic relationships: Older male relatives, bosses . . . .  I’m reminded of a quote from “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”:

“Remember Toula.  The man may be the head of the family, but his wife is the neck.  She can turn the head however she chooses.”

It’s taking some time for me to get over my pride and process these Stone-Age ideas.  Something else that burns me:  I almost never hear about guys doing this, reading books, going to seminars, reading web articles about “How the Female Mind Works” and “How to Get the Girl of Your Dreams.”  For some reason, we females have to learn and play by their rules, cater to their natures, in order to catch the interest of someone we’re attracted to.  I will say that I’ve been getting asked for my number a lot more than I have in the past, but I’m not sure if that has more to with my research or the fact that I work in a bar.  :/  And, as you may have read in “Gold Coast Douchebag,” I haven’t exactly been landing dream dates either.  Maybe another time, I’ll tell you about “Mr. Colts,” the Chris O’Donnel lookalike from Texas via Indianapolis.  He made Mr. Gold Coast look like a saint.  Be prepared for your tongue to fall out of your head; mine almost did.

Dating is just like job hunting, if not worse, and I’ve been job hunting for months.  I’d rather be told to fetch the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West, and in exchange the Wizard will present me with . . . I don’t know.  A balloon ride over the rainbow, maybe.  Like everyone else, I wish there was a way to break through the green curtain behind all the smoke and mirrors, but I don’t think it’s possible.  Women and men are too different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Gorge Road" Chapter 1

The Evil Lizard Woman from Beacon Hill

"The Gorge Road" Chapter 6